Version 1.09 released
Our imperial astronomers made a great discovery, they found out that each planet is orbiting around a small star which they call a “sun”! Sometimes, there is also a smaller body orbiting a planet which they refer to as a “moon”. Some say the reason they found out about those so late is because they never go out from their cozy labs and that they focus mostly on filling papers to get the imperial grants instead of science. The Department of Treasury proposes a reform, to cut down astronomers funding unless they actually look at the sky. There is a strong opposition to this proposal.
So, in this version I focused on astronavigation. Added suns and moons and the long awaited rename planet feature. There is also a new map mode “astronavigation” and several other improvements.
– [feature] Suns and moons implemented. Those have various effects (check a tooltip as usual).
– [feature] Rename planets feature.
– [balance] The Hive overminds do not spawn on heavily radiated planets.
– [balance] Adjusted number of civilized races for game mode #2.
– [balance] More diverse pirates attack power (overall pirates became weaker but sometimes they send much stronger forces).
– [misc] More lore entries added (Help/Lore section) “History of the Empire” and “Astronavigation of the Empire”.
– [interface] Industry screen simplified and made more clear.
– [interface] Diplomatic stance renamed to aggressiveness (it reflects much better what this variable means).
– [interface] Hall of Fame includes a difficulty level, ‘custom’ (when advanced customization was used) also added tooltips to highscore with possibly exgtra info (like game version of the save).
– [interface] Improved shipyard screen (less confusing).
– [interface] Improved intelligence screen.
– [fix] Incorrect squadron names for autonomous fleets.
– [fix] Fixed main menu How to Play scrolling bug.
– [fix] Occasional context help not working on the first tab.
Version 1.08.1 released
A small technical update which introduces ‘Big UI’ video option and makes the game more likely to run on some older/odd setups.
– [misc] Better errors reporting (useful if you have an odd/old/rare setup and encounter some problems).
– [misc] Better handling in case of rare/old setups.
– [interface] ‘Big UI’ video option (Options/Video) which rescales the screen and make everything big, useful for high resolution monitors (it’s the old experimental mode rescale UI option but improved).
– [interface] Beautified map scaling.
Version 1.08 released
Another boring version with mostly technical updates, fixes, etc. Some interface improvements as well. No gameplay changes this time.
– [misc] Configuration (resolution settings, audio, etc) is persistent and not overwritten upon each update (you will see this effect upon the nearest update).
– [misc] Proper icon for .exe file.
– [misc] Installer (for non Steam distribution), no more .zip files.
– [interface] Unexplored planets have unexplored planet icon instead of planet type icon.
– [interface] Finished unique ship icons for different race types (all ship types included).
– [interface] Added ship icons to squadron details screen.
– [fix] Fixed prestige gain per era.
– [fix] Fixed squadron details screen (rare glitch).
Version 1.07 released
This version focuses on balance, alien armadas introduced (difficulty 5 or higher) which should make late game significantly harder. It also contains several important fixes.
– [feature] Civilized races have a diplomatic stance with the Empire (neutral, hostile, feud) which is based on difference in planets and claims tension and determine which diplomatic options are available and what scale of war they will wage (from occasional border skirmishes to a full scale war).
– [feature] Alien armadas (send by major civilized races that Feud with the Empire), activated in this version for difficulties 5 or higher only (in future lower difficulties will probably get it as well).
– [balance] Increased diplomatic tension from claims significantly (x6).
– [balance] Negative treasury prestige fall is cumulative (-1,-2,-3, etc per turn), no more sitting on negative treasury.
– [interface] Different ship images for different race types.
– [interface] Renamed base anger to tension.
– [fix] Fixed several serious bugs.
Version 1.06 released
In this version I wanted to remove every single reported bug, no matter how minor. Also I finished several small interface improvements that were being put off as minor. In short, primarily it’s a version that improves many small quirks and annoyances.
Another adjustment was balance. Several things were changed in order to make early game easier and late game harder.
– [balance] Increased starting planetary infrastructure (industrial facilities).
– [balance] Reduced prestige required for glorious achievements, decreased prestige gain from beating transdimensional aliens.
– [balance] Doubled ship maintenance points from planets, halved ship maintenance points from factories.
– [balance] After turn 100 major races have a recurring chance for an extra strong attack (in the next version they will get more options like that, so expect major races to become stronger in future).
– [interface] Save game sorting by date, also beautified load/save screen.
– [interface] New ships images (auto recoloured according to owner).
– [interface] New image on create new game (cloning).
– [interface] Squadron details screen improved (removed list of individual ships, beautified, etc).
– [misc] Extended context help (fleet/shipyard added ships abilities, etc).
– [fix] Help pages scrolling bug.
– [fix] Occassional blank technology (require a new game).
– [fix] Other small fixes.
Version 1.05 released
This version brings you several important fixes (BTW, thanks for all players who report those, it’s a great help!) some interface improvements and the highly requested Hall of Fame feature.
– [feature] Hall of Fame (persistent high score).
– [balance] No court moves allowed during the audience turn (to prevent switching courtiers during the “fire department X” event).
– [interface] New graphics for ships.
– [interface] Added a marker who was appointed last turn to the court (for convenience).
– [interface] Audience mini info on alien ambassador event (shows number of planets and if it’s a minor or a major race).
– [interface] No more research not queued report when a field of science is completed (all researched).
– [fix] Numerous fixes (prestige bug, audience removing department courtiers bug, diplomacy relations bug, interface fixes).
Version 1.04 released
The last version this year. Fixes some old bugs and gives you an option to rescale UI (experimental feature) which was requested by people with high resolution monitors who prefer to play on native resolution. Also polish of interface.
– [feature] Experimental feature. Option for UI scaling by 140% (for high resolution monitors). It’s crude and might contain some glitches and it rescale everything (a bit blurry but not too much). To enable first enable experimental features (options) then go to Options/Video and mark rescale UI option (the selection is not saved, you need to mark it each time you run the game; if something fails just run the game again and it will run in a default nonscaled mode).
– [feature] Small changes in audience events (redone some misleading ones).
– [change] Changed edicts that affected rebel points directly (it was too misleading and redundant, instead you should affect planets loyalty and security rating). Now Loyalism edict affects planet’s loyalty and Counter insurgency edict was changed to Palace guard edict which increases imperial guards.
– [interface] Research completed report contains detailed information about the researched technology, next queued technology and a button to directly go to that field of science screen.
– [interface] more information on Chancellor button tooltip (Imperial Guards and Food Testers).
– [fix] Fixed the infamous HIGH DPI bug (now you don’t need to set it manually via compatibility tab).
– [fix] Fixed a bug with races cancelling a truce when it was already cancelled.
– [fix] Many small interface related fixes.
Version 1.03 released
Balancing version. The goal was to make early game easier and late game harder. I tried to not go overboard with changes and it’s the first balancing version and there is more to come. So, some changes might be too small, we will test it 🙂
In short, civilized races are more aggressive also they become more aggressive over time and they become desperate if they lose too many planets. Ships cost got halved. Research slowed down.
– [balance] Civilized races attacks redone. Now they have regular and emergency offensive reserves. Emergency reserves are used only when the government of that race decides the situation is grim enough (imperial intelligence will notify you about this).
– [balance] Frequency of civilized races attacks adjusted (more aggressive).
– [balance] Over time civilized races attacks more often (after turn 100 and 300).
– [balance] Halved cost of ships (since overall difficulty was increased this should help you greatly survive the early stage of the game).
– [balance] Slower research, especially at later stages of the game; research points from planet +0.5 per planet, maximum +100 (previously +1.00 and no cap); research points from population +0.25 per 1,000 Terran pops (previously +1.00).
– [interface] Research screen Statistics button which shows bonuses from technologies and other sources (previously an experimental feature).
– [interface] Autonomous fleets Orders screen shows you a notice if you have not selected a border to guard (so the fleet is idle).
– [interface] Industry screen explained better (which industry produces what). Also planetary Administration screen explains those better.
– [fix] Small fixes (orbiting NoName planet replaced with in warp).
Version 1.02 released
A boring update containing mostly fixes 🙂 There is also an autosave feature which somehow I overlooked in previous versions 🙂
– [fix] The Hive negative ships.
– [fix] Fighter technology not working.
– [fix] Ships in battle displayed improperly when many ship types.
– [fix] Typos, etc.
– [feature] Autosave (every 5 turns, chan be changed via options).
– [interface] Experimental feature (need to be enabled via options) on research screen which shows some techs stats (very crude, not recommended, later there will be some polished version of it available by default).
– [interface] Battle buttons darked when inactive and improved units display.
Version 1.01 released
It’s a small update containing several fixes and improvements, mostly interface related. This version is also preparing for a proper Hall of Fame which was requested by many players and should be implemented soon; in this version I cleaned up score and made it more logical and prominent.
Also, the game was renamed to Stellar Monarch 🙂 The thing is I do not play mobile games I didn’t realize “Pocket” was connected with those 🙂 Besides… when I started I planned it to be a small game, so the word Pocket was a reasonable one, but in the meantime the game have grown and turned into a complex beast. Anyway, the new name conveys what the game is about better in my opinion.
– [feature] Score multiplied by the difficulty (preparing for a proper Hall of Fame which should be implemented in the next version).
– [feature] Sociologist perk disabled for game modes where you start with some technologies researched (since it makes no sense there)
– [feature] Imperial projects grant one time +10 prestige.
– [balance] Score calculations adjusted (focuses around prestige primarily).
– [interface] Top bar icons adjusted (happiness shows an exact number, added rebel readiness icon, food moved to industry).
– [interface] Score on Empire/Victory screen.
– [interface] Fixed typos, renamed some things, removed some misleading racial descriptions.
– [fix] Various fixes.